Tuesday, September 13, 2011

"Playing" Soccer

DSC_0618

Mason participated in his very first organized sporting event on Sunday -- a soccer match (or is it a game?). I call it "playing" soccer because there was a whole lot of playing, but not a whole lot of soccer. What else would you expect from a bunch of 3-year-olds? It was hilarious chaos!

The team had two practices leading up to the first match...I wasn't sure what to expect, but surprisingly, Mason was really interested. Each little player had their own ball and their coach taught them how to kick, dribble, pass, etc. So...as long as each of the children had their own ball, they loved it. But then in the actual match, when there were 8 children chasing 1 ball, most of the children lost interest. Or in the case of my son, he became distracted with the sand pile on the side of the field...and he practiced turning flips in the grass...and he practiced sliding into the goal feet-first & then getting his shoes tangled in the net.

When we sat down to dinner Sunday night, I asked Mason how he thought his first match went. He responded, "It was really good. Coach Card gave me a high five at the end of the match!" So...if Mason thinks it was a success, I guess that's good enough for me. :) After all, we aren't training for the World Cup...we are just hoping he will have fun (and maybe burn off some of his boundless energy in the process).

DSC_0623

DSC_0619

DSC_0620

DSC_0627

post signature

No comments: