Friday, September 10, 2010

I'm Not Done Yet...

So you might be tired of the seemingly neverending Hawaii posts...but I have a few more pictures to share. I like to think I saved the best for last.

One of the things that I really wanted to try while we were in Hawaii was surfing. And believe it or not, I surfed. I don't have any pictures to prove it, because we all rented boards at the same time so none of us had cameras with us. I'm sure it was a pretty hilarious sight. Deborah and I took a lesson with an authentic shaggy-haired beach boy. Now this part is really hard to believe...I got up on the very first wave and surfed all the way in to the shore. It was so amazing. I won't forget that feeling anytime soon! In a way I'm glad that I don't have any photos of myself surfing, because in my mind's eye, I looked like one of these surfers:

DSC_0749

DSC_0721

DSC_0720

Wipeout!
DSC_0722

We saw some really pretty beaches unlike any that I'd ever seen before.

Red sand:
DSC_0603

DSC_0594

Black sand:
DSC_0576

Lava rock beach:
DSC_0553

DSC_0593

And your run-of-the-mill (haha) white sand beach.
DSC_0711

Waterfalls were everywhere...I almost felt a little jaded because we saw so many gorgeous waterfalls on our very first day in Maui that after a while, I found myself not wanting to take pictures of any that were less-than-spectacular.

DSC_0770

DSC_0573

DSC_0562

The water at the bottom of this waterfall was so clear.
DSC_0564

DSC_0559

DSC_0558

DSC_0557

DSC_0546

DSC_0520

DSC_0511

DSC_0514

And the grand finale:
DSC_0764

It seems apropos to close out my Hawaii posts with some beautiful sunset pictures. As an East-Coaster that hasn't witnessed very many sunsets over water, these were very special.

DSC_0742

DSC_0747

DSC_0676

The tradewinds in Hawaii are very strong, which creates a lot of cloud movement. The clouds only enhance the colors of the sunset.
DSC_0679

DSC_0683



post signature

4 comments:

The 1st of May said...

I have ALWAYS wanted to swim around under a waterfall like in the movies!!! AMAZING!

Tara said...

The lagoons at the bottom of some of these waterfalls look like the same ones out of Lost. So pretty!

Pauline said...

Wow, those are some beautiful sunsets!

Auralee said...

Okay, seriously - Diana and I were looking at your pictures and the one of Graem and you with the sunset in the background is BREATHTAKING!