Tuesday, September 7, 2010

By Road - By Trail - By Sea - By Air

More Hawaii pictures, as promised!

We saw both of the islands we visited (Maui & Kauai) from lots of different angles.

By Road

DSC_0539

DSC_0649

For some reason, most all of the bridges in Hawaii are one lane, so you have to wait your turn to cross. Fortunately We were chauffeured by "Toonces the Driving Cat"...or so it felt at times.
DSC_0798

I mentioned in a previous post that on our first day in Hawaii, we set out on the road to Hana. Hana is a tiny little town on the southeast side of the island of Maui, and the adventure is in the journey, not the destination. There are lots of hiking trails, waterfalls, red sand beaches, black sand beaches, random parrots, banana bread stands, etc along the road to Hana. No guide book could have prepared us for this sight:

DSC_0608

DSC_0607

...we could see both ends of this rainbow! I hate that I couldn't get the whole thing in one picture, but it was just too BIG. I am so thankful that God gives us rainbows!

This is the Kilauea Lighthouse, the northernmost point of the Hawaiian islands.
DSC_0781

The area surrounding the lighthouse is a bird sanctuary.
DSC_0788

It's kind of scary that another family has a "Sydney & Kate" pair! And I thought the world could only handle our two! :)
DSC_0787

By Trail

DSC_0657

DSC_0650

DSC_0588

One of the waterfalls that we hiked to required a pretty steep uphill hike through mud. Then we had to walk across this trestle (actually not a trestle but a diversion canal, whatev). I can't understand why they would go to the trouble of building the canal and adding a walking path bridge little bit of metal to walk across but no handrail? It may be hard to tell from the picture, but to the right is rushing water and to the left is a cliff. No fun walking across, but the waterfall at the end was definitely worth it!

DSC_0569

DSC_0565

DSC_0536

DSC_0510

By Sea

DSC_0621

DSC_0618

DSC_0655
Okay, that is not a picture of the boat that we rode on, but I wish that we could have!

DSC_0632

We (meaning Graem, Jason & Deborah) caught 3 tuna on our deep sea fishing trip. Unfortunately, mine was "the one that got away." Oh well, better luck for me next time!
DSC_0639

DSC_0634

DSC_0629

DSC_0625

A couple of pictures from snorkeling...
16_27

14_25

15_26

We saw several sea turtles, but I think this one was the largest, so I'm glad this picture turned out okay!
04_24

By Air

On our last day in the South Pacific, we took a helicopter tour of Kauai.

DSC_0905

DSC_0900

DSC_0897

DSC_0885

DSC_0877

DSC_0876

DSC_0880

DSC_0878

Hanalei Bay (note the reef that you can see under the water)
DSC_0873

DSC_0866

You might recognize this beach...Harrison Ford shipwrecked on this beach in the movie "6 Days, 7 Nights."
DSC_0869

DSC_0867

DSC_0859

DSC_0857

DSC_0858

DSC_0856

DSC_0850

DSC_0849

DSC_0853

DSC_0851

DSC_0842

DSC_0839

This waterfall was in Jurassic Park...
DSC_0824

DSC_0813

DSC_0816

DSC_0903

From this perspective, this could have been one of Mason and Roper's little tractors...
DSC_0902

post signature

4 comments:

Pauline said...

Those pictures are awesome. It looks like you guys had a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing it with us:)

The 1st of May said...

Y'all's underwater pics turned out so good! Everything is absolutely gorgeous! I'm so glad you saw all the beauty from so many different ways. Such a great trip! Thanks for sharing!!!

Carter said...

Beautiful pics!!!

nanny said...

Wow!! Thanks for sharing...this makes me want to go there!!
Love,
Aunt Beth