Friday, February 17, 2012

Strike a Nerve

I really enjoy most aspects of being pregnant. One thing that I particularly enjoy is the way perfect strangers are so nice and make a point to ask about me and the baby. Most of these interactions with strangers are pleasant, but I've also gotten some really annoying comments with this third pregnancy.

1. "Oh, you're having your third baby, you know you could just keep going like that Dugger family did." Seriously?? I'm having baby #3, not #13 or #23. I think when people make this comment it is their sad attempt at humor. Not funny, people.

2. "Oh, you're having your third boy, that's great because boys are SO MUCH easier than girls." (For the record, this is not a majority statement...there are plenty of people who have responded, "third boy? Oh God bless you.") I know I'm pregnant & irritable & that people are just trying to share words of encouragement...but it annoys me because there is nothing easy about being a parent. And there is certainly nothing easy about having a 4-year-old & a 2-year-old and being pregnant. I'm pretty sure that it won't get any easier when the baby is born. Parenting is H-A-R-D, no matter if you have boys or girls, regardless of whether or not you work, and regardless of whether you have 1 child or 23. I can't think of a single instance when someone has said, "Wow, this parenting thing is so much easier than I ever expected!"

So I just have to remind myself that people are crazy and at times can say the most ridiculous things!


post signature

6 comments:

Heidi said...

All I want to know.... "How are you and the baby?"

Just kidding, you are too adorable. Some people have absolutely no manners or diplomacy!

Pauline said...

I hate it when people say "You know causes that, right"? UUUGGG!!! Some people are so rude!!!

Julie said...

Hilarious! What is it about pregnancy/babies in general that invite the nosiest remarks???

Alice said...

And the looks...the looks people gave me were unbelievable. I agree with Pauline...I can't stand it when people say "You know what causes that right?" Like each child wasn't prayed for and wanted and waited for...

I can't wait to meet sweet boy! Hang in there! We love you!

Kate said...

3rd boy = one for you, one for me, one for Sydney :) PROBLEM SOLVED! Love you!

Justin & Raluca said...

I agree, why do people feel the need to talk to you when you are pregnant?