We have three crepe myrtles in our yard and they have gone without pruning for the past several years. No biggie, but last summer I noticed that one of them actually had another tree growing up amidst the spindly crepe myrtle trunks, and I made a mental note to take care of that before Spring 2011 rolled around.
I knew how not to prune a crepe myrtle, thanks to an article I read in Southern Living years ago. Pruning our crepe myrtles was on my weekend to-do list, and I was happy to find that the article has been updated and is easily accessible via the world wide web (isn't everything?).
The Grumpy Gardener's article is a must-read. I've considered printing it for distribution in our neighborhood. :)
This is what I started with...ignore that big beautiful box in the background (I planted 2 loropetalum in front of it last year but they don't seem to like the spot).

Here you can see the tree that was making itself right at home in the middle of my crepe myrtle. Nothing that a hacksaw couldn't take care of!

And the finished product. I'm looking forward to the pretty pink blooms!

Changing subjects...G&I have just returned from a wonderful vacation...I'm working on getting all the pictures together and will post later this week!

No comments:
Post a Comment