Thursday, February 25, 2010

Songs

Lately Mason has requested that I sing him a song before bed, after we've read a few books. I don't have the best singing voice, but he doesn't seem to mind. The songs that are in our "heavy rotation" include:
- Row, Row, Row (he likes this one because one of our nicknames for Roper is "Ro-Ro")
- Twinkle, Twinkle
- Dixie
- Rock of Ages
- Jesus Loves Me
And, Mason's personal favorite, As the Deer, or as he calls it, The Deer Song. Only lately, he has been requesting The Horse Song. What is the horse song??? I have no idea. Sometimes I sing As the Deer and replace "deer" with "horse." But then I get cracked up by the vision of a horse panting for water -- it just is funny/wierd.

Beer for my Horses just doesn't quite fit the fill as a lullaby. I know lots of George Strait songs that are about rodeos, but surprisingly, very few of them actually have the word "horse" in them.

The only children's song I can think of with the word "horse" is She'll be Coming Round the Mountain -- but I really don't like that song very much, not sure why. Probably because when we went to Montana last year it was one of 5 songs on a Disney children's cd that we had with us. We listened to Goofy & Mickey's rendition maybe 6,500 times. That'll kinda ruin a song for you for life.

This past weekend, Aunt Cindy taught me two extra verses to "Row." I had never heard these, but I like them so I thought I'd share:

Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream,
If you see an alligator,
Don't forget to scream! AAHH

Row, row, row your boat,
Gently to the shore,
If you see a lion,
Don't forget to ROAR!

post signature

4 comments:

Tara said...

I love that Mason may be the only child in his class that will know the words to Dixie by heart! So cute!

Alice said...

Stewball was a racehorse is the best horse song I know! Definately must be what he is requesting!

Brantley said...

Okay Alice...I'm gonna have to look that one up! Never heard of it. What can I say? I'm well aware of my lack of skills in the music dept!

nanny said...

I'll teach you "Old Stewball" if you want....
Love,
Aunt Beth