Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Great Smoky Mountains

My mother planned a great "Girls Weekend" (plus children) for us to the Great Smoky Mountains this past weekend. It was so much fun to get to spend time with Aunt Cindy and my cousin Michelle and her two children, McKendree (2) and Madden (3 months). We loaded up Daddy's suburban (4 adults + 4 babies + luggage!!!) and took off to Gatlinburg for the weekend.

Friday: Loaded up and ready for a road trip...

DSC_1275

Sweet babies in their jammies...

DSC_1281a

Aunt Cindy had all of them cracking up.

DSC_1286

DSC_1288

The highlight of the trip for Roper...Bebe introduces him to french fries (they were very well-mashed).

DSC_1278

On Saturday, we went over to Bryson City to ride on the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad. The train ride was 4 hours with a layover at the Nantahala Outdoor Center. The views along the Tuckasegee River were gorgeous! Needless to say, the children really enjoyed themselves and I think everyone on the train knew who Mason and McKendree were!

DSC_1299a

DSC_1329a

DSC_1304

DSC_1305

DSC_1324a

I love this picture...I can't believe Roper's eyes are so blue...time will tell if they'll stay that way. Mason's stayed blue until about 12 months and now they're a green/hazel color.

DSC_1315

Aunt Cindy and McKendree at the Nantahala Outdoor Center.

DSC_1339

Mason and McKendree decided to try their turn at white water rafting...

DSC_1351

DSC_1354

We couldn't believe our eyes when we saw a herd of elk on our way home Sunday evening! I took this picture at dusk and had to "doctor" it so you can see the elk. These two bulls were sparring when we first pulled off the road to look at them, but in this picture they seem to be getting along just fine!

DSC_1356a

I promise that I was on the trip...I know I'm not in any of the pictures, because I was always on the other side of the lens!

post signature

1 comment:

Pauline said...

Looks like you all had a great weekend. I was wondering where you were when Graham walked into SS class without you. I guess he probably had a nice weekend by himself too:)