Thursday, March 21, 2013

A Happy Day with a Tinge of Sadness

Duncan's first birthday was the first time I've felt any sadness on the birthday of one of my children.  Usually I think about how I can't remember what life was like before they were born, and how the day they were born seems SO long ago.

With Duncan I feel different.  The past year has flown by with high highs and low lows. 

I feel sad because Duncan is my last baby and his "baby days" are numbered. He is practically weaned at this point and he doesn't need me in the same way that he has for the past year. 

He started crawling exactly a week before he turned 1.  We have been working on crawling for MONTHS.  As happy as I am that he is finally crawling, it is hard watching him struggle.  I feel sad that he doesn't have more time to catch up. 

Turning one is a reason to celebrate, and we did, with family and friends that we love dearly.  But someone was missing. I feel sad that in a few short months we would have celebrated Wyatt's first birthday.  I feel sad that Rob and Kelli know what it feels like to have a precious boy taken away without any warning whatsoever.

I am thankful for Duncan, this precious gift that God has given us, but I can't help but feel sad that my babies are growing up and life is moving on.  Anyone have any suggestions on how I can make time slow down??

This is what the Lord says:  I have heard your prayer and seen your tears.  I will heal you.  2 Kings 20:5


post signature

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know how to make it slow down - and I echo your sentiments. These moments are precious and passing so very very quickly - and yet I think at each and every family event we will always miss Wyatt. Treasure each day - make the most of it. You do a good job of that - be encouraged.

Love,
Alice

Jessica said...

Whenever I start feeling too nostalgic, I try to take a moment to really think about what I love about my family and life right now and something I'm looking forward to in the near future. It seems to help me stay in the present and not long for the past.

Happy Birthday to your sweet boy!