Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Outer Banks

We spent last week in the Outer Banks of NC with my parents. Some days we just hung out at the pool (which, thankfully, was heated) or the ocean (not heated - haha) and other days we took off to see the sights. It was the perfect combination of relaxing and sightseeing.

One of our excursions was to the Wright Brothers Museum and Monument in Kitty Hawk. I had high hopes that the Clark brothers would be inspired by the famous Wright brothers. Two "wrongs" don't make a "right," but two Wrights once made an airplane! As you can see, Roper was completely enthralled bored out of his mind.
DSC_0136

DSC_0140

DSC_0144

We spent a few hours one afternoon touring the Elizabethan Gardens, located adjacent to the Lost Colony, the site of the first English settlement on American soil.
DSC_0151

DSC_0147

DSC_0160

DSC_0161

DSC_0176

DSC_0178

A 19th-century statue of Virginia Dare, the first English child born in America. Virginia was part of the Lost Colony, so certainly there is no accuracy in the statue's portrayal of her. The cararra marble statue lay underwater off the coast of Spain for 2 years, was salvaged from a fire in Massachusetts, and upon its arrival in NC in the 1920s, was "considered so racy that for decades she was tossed back and forth like a hot potato all across the state." I won't post a close up since I like to keep my blog content G-rated.
DSC_0155

We stayed in Kitty Hawk, which is at the northern end of the Outer Banks. The southernmost island is Okracoke, which is accessible only by water or air. One day we drove down to Hatteras, which is as far south as you can go on land, then loaded up on the ferry for Okracoke.
DSC_0191

DSC_0193

Can you say undeveloped? The beach looks strange without any houses, doesn't it?
DSC_0243

DSC_0251

If you have 4-wheel-drive, you just park right at the edge of the water.
DSC_0198

DSC_0199

DSC_0217

DSC_0223

DSC_0230

DSC_0239

We met some baby ducks on our way into the town of Okracoke. Isn't it sweet how they obediently follow along behind their Mama? Why don't my children follow me around like that?
DSC_0255

A very proud group of fisherman were on the ferry with us back to Hatteras. They caught two of these tremendous cobia. I don't make it a habit of posting pictures of people without their permission. Some people don't like their mugs on the world wide web for all to see. Hopefully this fella won't mind since he's holding a big catch!
DSC_0264

The sunset on the ferry ride back was breathtaking. Photos can't do it justice.
DSC_0272

Other pictures from the week...
DSC_0287

DSC_0300

DSC_0301

So...are yall starting to wonder if I was really on the trip? I'm about to prove it. One day we headed over to Jockey's Ridge State Park in Kill Devil Hills, which is basically a state park with one gi-normous sand dune. It's big. 100 feet tall, to be exact. It's the tallest sand dune on the east coast. Scientists estimate that it contains 30 million tons of sand. It would take about 6 million dump trucks full of sand to make a dune this size. It's necessary to explain all of that because its hard to grasp the size of this thing from the pictures. Anyway...I decided it would be fun to roll down the sand dune. And...it was fun! I ended up covered in sand from head to toe! I just have to reiterate that although you can't tell in the pictures, it was a really steep drop!
DSC_0358

DSC_0359

DSC_0357

DSC_0365

DSC_0370

Roper was less-than-impressed with his mother's craziness.
DSC_0387

I also ran down the sand dune with Mason.
DSC_0329

Coming back up was the hard part...
DSC_0336

...except for Mason.
DSC_0347

Our only group shot from the trip.
DSC_0318

The last-but-not-least highlight...on the way back home on Sunday, my Daddy announced that he had a special detour in store for us. Now, with my Daddy, you can almost be certain that a detour will involve some tidbit of Confederate history. Possibly an obscure cemetery where Robert E. Lee's third cousin once removed rests in peace. Don't get me wrong, I always enjoy Daddy's rich-in-history detours...but this detour was even more special.
DSC_0395

DSC_0392

In case you can't tell, we had an absolutely wonderful time. If you've never had the chance to spend time in the Outer Banks, I highly recommend making the trip! Beauty + History + Beach = Great Vacation!

post signature

12 comments:

Amanda said...

What a fun trip! I love the Outer Banks, but don't love how you have to get there. We were in Corolla last year and drove out on the beach at Cordoba-the wild horse beach-and got stuck in the sand! Glad you didn't have that experience.

Pauline said...

I am so glad you posted something. I have not seen you all in a while and was wondering where you all have been. I love the pictures. It looks like you all had a blast:)

Ashley said...

Brantley-thanks for sharing! I spent every summer of my childhood in the Outer Banks. After seeing these pictures, I can't wait to take Dave and Leah one day!

Julie said...

awesome post. i love the peaceful wildness of the outer banks. and i LOVE the pics of you rolling down the hill!

G & M said...

looks like yall had a blast. i really like the roper pics at the end!

Alice said...

Looks like you had an awesome time! So glad! You rolling down that hill was too funny for words! :)

Tara said...

I laughed out loud at Roper's picture next to his sign...so cute! Maybe you and I can help each other out in Hilton Head and actually have some pictures taken with our kiddos!

Auralee said...

Thanks for sharing your vacation with us. I enjoyed reading about it!

The 1st of May said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip! One of my favorite beach vacations as a child was at the Outer Banks. Such beautiful beaches!

Justin & Raluca said...

I love the pictures, and how awesome for Roper!

Justin & Raluca said...

Looks like so much fun and how awesome for Roper!

Jessica said...

Great post. Wish I could have come with you guys. Matt and I both laughed at the picture of Roper with the arrow! The sand dune looked fun too.