Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Waiting Game

Could this pregnancy possibly be any different than my first 2??

As of Sunday, I'm 38 weeks...I've never made it this far before!

With my first two, there were no signs indicating I would be going into labor, it just happened!

This time, my doctors have been telling me for weeks that the baby could be here any day now! Way back in week 35 they had me all worked up by saying, "He could be here in a matter of days." Really?? Which explains why yesterday during my appointment my doctor said, "I cannot believe you are here at 38 weeks and still haven't had that baby!" Ummm...me either!

I can't complain, I still feel really good...I'm just ready to meet my baby boy! Obviously my prediction of 3/11 did not happen...Graem's prediction (based on his hunting calendar) of baby D coming on the night of the full moon did not happen...so maybe he will follow in both of his big brother's footsteps and make his appearance on the 16th (M&R were both born on the 16th of their birth months). Or maybe he will be like my cousin David and come on St. Patty's Day...which would be quite appropriate for a boy with a very Irish name like Duncan McKendree!

If he continues to show his stubborn side, at the latest he will be born next Monday. Yesterday my doctor scheduled me to be induced on Monday morning.

Since M&R came early, an induction was never something that needed to be considered...but now with my third it will be so convenient. Convenience is an odd word choice for having a baby, but I can't think of any other way to describe it. I can make sure to have childcare for my older two...I won't have to worry about who to call/what to do with M&R if my water breaks at 3:00 AM...I won't have anxiety about not making it to the hospital in time for the baby to be born...and best of all I won't have to deliver a baby in the wee hours of the morning like I did the first 2 times. Mason was born shortly after 3:00 AM and Roper was born shortly after 2:00 AM...which means we didn't get moved out of the delivery room and into a hospital room until the sun was coming up. As everyone knows, life with a newborn doesn't allow for much sleep, but when you start off with a deficit after being up for well over 24 hours straight, it makes for a hard adjustment!

I have heard horror stories about inductions...but I am not the least bit concerned. I'm confident that as soon as the doctor breaks my water things will get moving and the baby will be here shortly thereafter! And in less than a week from now at the most!!


post signature

2 comments:

Julie said...

Yay! Can't wait for the news! BTW, my induction was awesome: got all hooked up, relaxed in the room watching The Wire with David, got my epidural several hours in, then a couple hours later: one push and Amie was born! I will pray that your delivery--whenever it happens--will be just as smooth!

Justin & Raluca said...

Having had 2 inductions, I can tell you its not all that bad. Alina was a little stubborn and took her sweet time, but with Nate is was "easy" if that word can be used with childbirth:) Can't wait to hear! I'm pulling for the 16th:)