Thursday, July 8, 2010

Peaches and Birthdays

Here in Lexington County, the 4th of July is a time for celebrating the sweet southern deliciousness known as the peach. Don't let any so-called Georgia peach tell you otherwise...South Carolina produces more peaches per capita than any other state in the nation!

The town of Gilbert hosts the annual Peach Festival, and the opening ceremony of the festival is the parade.

Some floats were really festive...
DSC_0963

I never even knew the Gilbert Motor Speedway existed!
DSC_0959

It really didn't take much to secure a spot in the line up.
DSC_0991

DSC_0987

This crazy camel is drinking Mountain Dew!
DSC_0979

I should have seized the opportunity and taken the gum that was offered to me. Does anyone know how to remove gum from seersucker shorts?
DSC_0969

The tractors were a big hit with Mason.

DSC_0961

DSC_0001_03

Wow. Did I really take a picture with port-a-johns in the background. OOPS!
DSC_0004_03

Note candy on mouth.
DSC_0022_01

DSC_0020_03

This is slightly off topic...have yall seen these flags all over the place lately? They have really made a comeback. Last time I saw one was in 11th grade -- Mrs. Poag's US History. Then when we were in HH a few weeks back, my father-in-law was sporting a t-shirt with one of these flags on the front. Now I see them everywhere I look! In case you don't know, its the Gadsden Flag, originally flown during the Revolutionary War. Recently the Tea Party has adopted the flag as one of their symbols. I like it! I hope Graem likes it also, because I bought him a t-shirt with the flag on it last week!

DSC_0013_03

Also...here in the Clark household, the 4th of July is a time for celebrating our good friend Jay B's birthday! This year he turned 4 on the 4th! Sally had the children march in their own little parade. So after 2 days as a parade spectator, Mason became a parade participant. 3 parades in 3 days is definitely a record in my life.

DSC_0056_01

DSC_0073_03

DSC_0048_03

DSC_0031_03

We have big plans for Spencer to coach all of our children in t-ball in a few years.
DSC_0027_03

DSC_0081_03

Happy Birthday to Jay and to America!


post signature

No comments: